Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Nature in Power


There are many different ways that nature is seen throughout this novel. I see it the most when I read about Omishto's description of Ama's house though. I think it is important to point out that earlier in Ama's life, her house was bright blue, just like the sky. And now it is covered in leaves and is a dark brown. Ama lives out in the wilderness because she likes to feel independent. Nature brings out Ama's identity and is important to her character. Nature is also important throughout this novel because it is a way that Ama and Omishto relate. Even though they do not talk much, they usually observe the wonders of nature together and do not have to even say much in order to communicate. They both sometimes know what the other is thinking. Although we haven't read much so far, by next Tuesday I'm sure nature will play a much bigger role in the novel. Nature seems to be brought up very spontaneously, which gives me the idea that it plays a significant role in Omishto and Ama's lives. I feel that Omishto's family does not give mother Earth and nature credit and Ama does. Omishto realizes that and also realizes that Ama has the power to go against what everyone thinks, which gives her a sense of Power. I think the title of this book has several meanings to it, and one of them I am almost certain about is Ama's ability to go against everyone in order to do what she wants.


P.S.-I know the picture above is a cartoon, but it reminds me a little of Ama's house because of the big tree that is above her house. Also, there are a couple things outside this house that reminds me of Ama's house like the porch and the actual color of the house.

2 comments:

  1. I think this pic is a great choice to represent your interpretation of Ama's house because it is actually BUILT INTO a tree, which suggests how connected to nature Ama is and how she feels sort of "at home" and protected by it.

    It also reminds me of a Smurf's home. That's not relevant, just interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture you chose to go with your blog! I also love Sam's interpretation of the house/Ama/nature connection. I could never imagine living the way Omishto and Ama chose to live, but sometimes I think it would be nice to go and live away from all of the pressures of the material world.

    ReplyDelete