Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is school the place to learn a language?

There are two ways to learn language. The first is from birth, where you grow up learning a language and it is ingrained from the beginning. The second is when you learn a second language, normally in school. I think that both methods can be beneficial. In the past, new languages were taught just in school or just in family. Now they are taught both places. I was first introduced to Spanish when I was in kindergarten. I've learned it all throughout school, but I feel as though if I were introduced to it in my family I would have developed a better sense of the culture and a better understanding of how to actually speak the language. Culture to me is the most important aspect of a language because it helps you to be imersed into all of the language. Language should be taught in both places, school and the family.

But sometimes there are other places to learn. I researched learning languages on youtube, and now there are different ways of learning languages in school. Some people have started using Skype to learn languages. This gives students the opportunity to learn all types of languages over the internet while giving them one on one attention.

Here is the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvgJr9HbfI



No comments:

Post a Comment