Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Yellow Wallpaper

While reading and analyzing The Yellow Wallpaper for the second time, I've realized a few things. During the time that this was written, a lot of industrialization and technology advancements were being made. Women during this time were not treated with the same respect men were treated with. But during the story as well, women were discouraged from writing.

I felt sorry for Gilman in this story because her husband was always shushing her and never really letting her do what she wanted. I feel as though sometimes women and even men these days are shushed for their true feelings and beliefs.

Sometimes I get nervous to tell the people I care for the most, what I am truly passionate about and what I really think about a certain subject. I'm usually scared that I will make them either mad or frustrated. I have been trying to tell people how I truly feel about certain things. Its getting a little better, but I am still nervous.

I feel as though in The Yellow Wallpaper, Gilman had the same type of problem. I think this type of problem has always existed and will always exist. Some people have certain ways of dealing with their kept secrets and opinions such as diaries and blogs, and others just keep to themselves.

Does anyone have issues or problems trying to tell the people they care about what they really think? Or are Gilman and I the only ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment