Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Girl Inturrupted

While I was on my way to watch the film, Girl Interrupted, I wasn't sure what to expect. Many of my friends told me it was a good movie, but that's all they really mentioned. A classmate of mine told me a little of what was to come in the movie, but I really didn't know what to expect.

After viewing the movie, I came out of the Vander Vennett Theater sad and uptight. Many of the characters seemed to have gone through the same thing that Gilman went through when she was writing. Angelina Jolie's character scared me at first, but throughout the movie more of her true self came out. To me, her character stuck out the most as being trapped in "a room." She was trapped in her body, which was full of evil. The one quote that stuck to me the most was when Winona Ryder told Angelina that she had no heart and that she really was not alive. After their close friend committed suicide, Angelina had no feelings and only cared about taking her money. I feel that Angelina needed Winona to tell her that so she could truly get better. That point in the movie seemed like the turning point for both of them.

This movie made me really upset because I know that there are people out in our world suffering like these young women did, but they can't do anything about it. To "normal" people, these women in the mental institute seemed "crazy." But did anyone ever care to ask these women what their true problems were? Did they even give them the time of day? No. Many people who are associated with mental hospitals are always labeled as crazy.

Usually people sit back , judge other people and assume things they think in their mind they think are right, when in reality, they are clearly wrong. All these women really needed was someone to be their friend and love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment